So you want me to have a GREEN MOVE on top of the regular stress from packing my things? You want me to be aware of our environment during my move by utilizing methods that will not damage our planet? The answer is a resounding yes! Believe it or not, more and more people are becoming green savvy and this applies to moving as well. The good news is that it’s quite easy to color your move green, with a little help from FindMeMovers.
Think of green moving as not wasting materials and instead, reusing or recycling them so they are not harmful to the earth. Anything that gets us consuming less, especially in a recession, is a win-win situation . Green moving teaches us that saving money and saving our planet go hand in hand!
Green moving, also known as eco friendly moving, starts with being smart about the way we pack:
- Purge unwanted stuff before you move it! Consider holding a moving sale, and selling your things online using Craigslist and Ebay.
- Pack as much as you can in containers you already own. Haul out your suitcases, laundry bags and plastic bins and fill them up! Use pillows, not paper, to cushion fragile items. This will consolidate your stuff with zero waste.
- Commit to NOT buying new boxes. U-Haul has a program to recycle boxes by posting ads on their website. Some real estate offices also offer a similar service on their local websites, in order to promote green moving.
- Use Packing crates. Local drugstores throw crates away at least once per week. You can even rent sturdy packing crates at rentagreenbox.com . They drop off their eco friendly crates before you move and pick them up afterward, in its fleet of bio-diesel trucks. Can you say convenient and green!
- Use your blankets, sheets, sweaters, dish and bath towels to wrap fragile items. Even old newspapers are just as effective and way more eco friendly than bubble wrap.
- Use eco friendly cleaning products when cleaning out your place. Seventh Generation is a national brand of green cleaning products, including toilet bowl cleaners, dishwashing powder and carpet cleaners. Their eco friendly products are affordable and can be found at many large discount chains such as Target.
- Consider holding a moving sale, and selling your things online using Craigslist and Ebay.
How you transport your goods is an integral part of green moving as well:
- Hire moving companies that carry out environmentally friendly attributes which include owning bio-diesel trucks, using moving pads made of 100% recycled cotton and renting packing crates. Even if your movers do not advertise these eco-friendly practices, it’s still important to request these things. If moving companies believe that consumers are demanding eco friendly moves, the moving industry will feel obligated to adopt green moving methods!
- Get free moving company estimates in order to speak with multiple moving companies, and ask them lots of questions about their green moving practices. This will help you to find a local mover who is the most eco friendly! Utilizing an online moving quotes form is the easiest way to get the green ball rolling.
- Make the fewest trips possible between the two locations! Pack up your car to reduce the number of runs between the new and old house. However, a van may save you time and money rather than using your car for several cross-town trips. Planning your trip to use the least fuel possible overall, is a critical part of green moving. This applies even more to interstate moves.
- If you are renting a moving truck, inquire if they have a truck that uses bio-fuel. Many of the large companies are now offering this. Use the smallest truck possible to fit your belongings. Pack the truck as well as you can. The tighter the truck is packed, the less movement there will be, making a more secure move with less risk of damage to your goods. A tightly packed truck also minimizes multiple trips and usage of fuel.
After the move into your new home is complete, it’s a great time to start thinking about other ways to leave less of an environmental footprint:
- Recyle or pass along your moving boxes to someone else.
- Recycle your packing materials. Wherever you get those moving boxes, make sure to recycle them after the journey. Find a friend or fellow mover in need, or advertise online to find a taker.
- Stop junk mail by registering with the Mail Preference Service at the Direct Marketing Association. This will help to reduce a large portion of unwanted paper.
- Make space for a recycling center in your mud-room or kitchen where it’s easy to keep a successful recycling routine. Making recycling easy to manage, ensures that you’ll be more likely to do it on a consistent basis.
- Think before buying. Is it a need or a want? Will this new item be used on a regular basis in your new home?
- Install energy efficient bulbs and appliances.
You see, going green is so much more than just owning a Prius. Green moving plays an equally important role in saving our planet. Are you ready to find an eco friendly moving company for your upcoming move? The best place to start is by filling out our free form for moving company quotes, instantly connecting you with local movers who are ready to compete for your business. Then, it’s just a matter of asking the right questions described above and you’ll be able to pick the greenest mover in your area!